[78-L] We lost our chance to buy it!!

Jim Whipkey suuford at msn.com
Sun Mar 14 12:45:02 PDT 2010

The listing for the  $2,000.00  opening bid of  $4,500.00  buy it now  album of that wonderful mint condition of Pathetique  is over.   Just happened to  look in on it  a moment ago to confirm   no one was bidding and  it says bidding is  ended, as of 10:57 pdt  3/14/10.   His other listing, a $500.00   opening bid on a  diet plan was pulled  several days ago.   As  some may recall,  the seller  replied to what I perceived to be my friendly, helpful question with a  barely sane diatribe.   Of course, I  didn't bother  answering  him,  but he did  cause me to look at   a shelf of   my own  classical albums and   I concluded I  had  at least $100,000. worth of   records in that one shelf,  using his  price barometer, or maybe $13.33 worth, using my most optimistic guess.   No accounting for  what the traffic will bear, I guess. I went to an auction yesterday,  hung back, waiting for  them to pull up a small collection of about 50  45rpm records,   from 50s and 60s,  all played, all worn,  but  fairly decent shape, figured  to  maybe bid a  few dollars for them.  Was amazed  when the auctioneer  gave them a big pump up,  offered them individually and  the first successful bidder paid  $7.00, took   one record, something by the Beatles.   Rest of them went slightly cheaper.  Sometimes I  have to wonder,  if it's me or the rest of the world who's out of touch.

Jim Whipkey