[78-L] Miles Davis etc [was Thelonious Monk [was Leonard

Geoffrey Wheeler dialjazz at verizon.net
Sat Mar 13 15:44:15 PST 2010

Regarding Davis fluffs: I cited the Capitol recording of “Move” as an
example. Davis’ fluffs are not only in his solos, which would likely be
a matter of his ideas running ahead of his ability to execute them
cleanly, but also in ensemble passages, which were presumably scored.
If one were to do a “Benedetti” on early Miles’ solos, capturing only
his solos as Benedetti did for Parker, the result might be
embarrassing. A number of bop trumpeters had problems with execution.
This includes Miles, Kenny Dorham, Howard McGhee, and even Fats Navarro
and Clifford Brown. Two causes of the problem may have been the killer
tempos and the, at times, complex original compositions. Some of the
ensemble work on Gene Norman “Just Jazz” concert recordings is just
plain sloppy. Even saying this, I remain fascinated by it all!