[78-L] Columbia audio quality, was Re: Miles Davis etc [was Thelonious Monk [was Leonard Feather's Inside Jazz]]

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Mar 13 15:43:54 PST 2010

Doug Pomeroy wrote:
> There's no disputing matters of taste.  But I'm astonished that
> you feel the Columbia record of Kind of Blue "isn't that well
> recorded".  I'm curious to know of jazz recordings you
> consider well recorded.
>
> Doug (who has tried very hard to make good sounding jazz recordings)

Many of E,D, Nunn's Audiophiles. The Columbia Buck Clayton Jam Sessions.
The French Black & Blue label. The Mercury label upto about 1956.
Contemporary. Pacific Jazz. I used to believe that West Coast bass
players were better than their East Coast counterparts until I realised
that most of the East Coasters were recorded by Rudy van Gelder! Take a
West Coast Prestige, "B,B.B+Co" (Benny Carter, Barney Bigard, Ben
Webster etc) and compare it with van Gelder's efforts. It's not a great
record, but it's so easy to listen to because you're not straining to
hear the bass player.

Perhaps Davis's music doesn't lend itself to an "up-front" sound?

      Julian Vein

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4942 (20100313) __________

http://www.eset.com