[78-L] Miles Davis etc [was Thelonious Monk [was Leonard Feather's Inside Jazz]]

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Mar 13 10:50:54 PST 2010

Bertrand CHAUMELLE wrote:
> What about "Kind Of Blue" ? It's Coltrane, it's studio and it's more
> than OK !!
>
> "Porgy and Bess" and "Sketches of Spain": ditto. The covers are better
> than anything on gloomy Blue Note.
>
> Cannonball a 'disgrace' ? You must be kidding, Julian.
>
> But don't worry, that's only my opinion, and France isn't part of the
> www, AFAIK
>
> BC ;o))
=======================
"Kind Of Blue" is OK, but I don't consider it the classic that others
do. "Porgy and Bess" and "Sketches of Spain" were both boring records
along with the rest of the Davis-Evans stuff for Columbia, poor
definition of full of overdubs. I've tried listening to them over half a
century, and can't warm to them.

As I said I've heard better Cannonball Adderley. I heard him in person
in, I think, 1958 with JATP alongside Benny Carter, and I was more
impressed by Adderley--he had a fuller tone than Carter's watery one.
It's just that he wasn't up to the job with Davis, his solos are full of
quotes and changes of direction. His playing is a serious blemish on
"Kind Of Blue". At other times he seems to be aping Coltrane. The album
wasn't that well recorded either.

      Julian Vein

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4941 (20100313) __________

http://www.eset.com