[78-L] Album Images Needed (2.1) Decca w. titles

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Sat Mar 13 09:49:40 PST 2010

A blackbird is the common European "Turdus merula", the black European thrush.
And as Webster says:
They do not form flocks, although several birds may be loosely associated in suitable habitat.
Of course we all know that, since the bird is a solitary singer sitting on roofs, chimneys, etc.

The blackbirds on the album most likely are crows.
And the ad in Gramophone July 1933, p.49 shows a small flock of crowlike birds with "contemporary"
negro cartoon faces, singing (like Mills Brothers?) and playing a banjo.

Han Enderman
===

>> BTW, the velvety texture is called 'flock'.
>>
>> Don

Actually I was thinking of the flock of blackbirds on the 1933 Brunswick
album of Blackbirds of 1928 where they fly from the back cover around to
the front cover.  I've got pictures of several versions of that pioneering album.

Mike Biel
<<<