[78-L] Kenny Hagood [was Pee Wee Marquette]

Geoffrey Wheeler dialjazz at verizon.net
Sat Mar 13 08:02:52 PST 2010

Julian Vein says: “Kenny "Pancho" Hagood I'm even more familiar with--I
spoke to him in
Paris in 1960. He was depping for an indisposed Stephane Grappelli at
the Chat Qui Peche.”

 From mid-December 1962 to early March 1963, I lived in Paris near Le
Chat Qui Peche. I don”t recall ever going in the place. I did go to the
Blue Note several times to hear Kenny Clarke’s group. I remember once
leaving the club late at night and encountering bone-chilling weather,
as can happen in cities with large rivers. I stayed in cheap hotels
that allowed only stays of about a week. I would then transfer to
another nearby cheap hotel. When that stay ended, I would return to the
first hotel. To celebrate Christmas, I bought a small tree from a
seller on Isle de la Cite´near Notre Dame and set it up in my hotel
room. In addition to general bathrooms on each floor, there were
urinals located in the middle of each flight of stairs. A curved metal
sliding door opened onto the cramped space. One would step in and slide
the door closed. It was like being in a tiny oubliette.