[78-L] Life of diamond 78 stylus in Stanton 500

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sat Mar 13 06:51:22 PST 2010

lotsastuff at iinet.net.au wrote:
> Hi,
>
> New to the list...  I listen to 78s mainly using a Stanton 500 cart with a diamond 78 stylus.
>
> I have just ordered a replacement stylus in case I break the one I have had for about 6 months now, but I was wondering how long I should expect the first one to last before it is worn out?

As I said to the list the other day, I have a Stanton (original, not after
market) 2.1 TE stylus that I've been using regularly since 1999 and there's no
sign of wear. Ditto the 2.8 I bought at the same time. It's like Maytag
washers, or that chewing gum that nazis have to pull out of your mouth (I don't
know if you get those obnoxious commercials in the US or if they're just a
Canadian affliction).

> Also, when it is worn, is it still useful for older worn records that have been played by steel needles?

It will more likely have a bent cantilever or have lost its tip entirely.
Diamonds are pretty damn near forever (hey, that would make a good movie and
song title).