[78-L] Miles Davis etc [was Thelonious Monk [was Leonard Feather's Inside Jazz]]

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Mar 13 02:07:50 PST 2010

lotsastuff at iinet.net.au wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 09:12:26 +0000
> Julian Vein <julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Dan Van Landingham wrote:
>>> I had some of those Miles Columbias and I just couldn't get into them.I'd like to get my hands on the stuff
>>> he recorded for Prestige between '51 and '53 with Sonny Rollins.
>

> My first Miles Davis LP was Bag's Groove Prestige 7109.  Probably one of the records that really got me into jazz.
>

>> =================
>> Davis's best work during his Columbia period was on his live recordings,
>> mainly with Coltrane
>

> I liked  "Friday and Saturday Nights at the Blackhawk" - I guess this is the type of stuff you mean.

"Bags Groove" was one of my first acquisitions. "Friday and Saturday
Nights at the Blackhawk" I like too. It has been reissued a couple of
times on CD, the first time OK, but the "Complete" version on 4 CDs is
unpleasantly sharp--I didn't keep it. There are many live recordings of
Miles with Coltrane of excellent musical and sound quality. I remember
hearing them on French radio in 1959-60, was very impressed, especially
with Coltrane. Most of them didn't get to be issued for another couple
of decades. Jimmy Cobb was one of the few "happy-sounding" modern
drummers, similarly for Wynton Kelly's piano playing.

      Julian Vein

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4940 (20100312) __________

http://www.eset.com