[78-L] Miles Davis etc [was Thelonious Monk [was Leonard Feather's Inside Jazz]]

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Mar 13 01:12:26 PST 2010

Dan Van Landingham wrote:
> I had some of those Miles Columbias and I just couldn't get into them.I'd like to get my hands on the stuff
> he recorded for Prestige between '51 and '53 with Sonny Rollins.
=================
Davis's best work during his Columbia period was on his live recordings,
mainly with Coltrane (who, by 1959, was under contract to Atlantic and
couldn't make studio sessions with Miles). Davis's Columbia work was OK
(apart from Cannonball Adderley whose playing, frankly, was a disgrace,
and sounded like a tipsy debutante with champagne bubbles up her
nose--strange, because I've heard him play much better elsewhere), but
tended to be on the "constipated" side--too much A&R'ing perhaps? I find
a similar problem with Blue Note--too much supervision, and too much
reliance on undistinguished "originals". The chords may have gassed the
musicians, but they don't make for an attractive presentation. Prestige
fared better by letting their artists get on with it. The material
seemed to be superior too. The best thing about Blue Note was the album
art work.

      Julian Vein

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4940 (20100312) __________

http://www.eset.com