[78-L] Jan Hinnerk - Are there any German 78s of this song?

Steve Shapiro steveshapiro1 at juno.com
Sat Mar 13 00:16:01 PST 2010

I grew up knowing this song from Richard Dyer-Bennet's 12" lp #2 (1956).

There is a 1926 Victor of this song by the Chicago Swedish Glee Club.  78641-B - "Leksakmakarens Sang" - Toy Wife's Song according to Google's translation.  I suspect this is much tamer than Dyer-Bennet's version if the one phrase I can make out where the Englishman says "Fare Thee Well" is indicative of what else is on this record.  Dyer-Bennet sang "D*mn your eyes".

Wikipedia says that this was an anti-French (anti-Napoleonic occupation of Hamburg) song.  I had no idea./steve