[78-L] Don't Do That to the Poor Puss Cat

Sammy Jones sjones69 at bellsouth.net
Fri Mar 12 21:47:38 PST 2010

The verse describes a "stoney-hearted neighbor" driving a cat from her
backyard.  Also the middle comedy portion has a scene where some kids are
throwing things at a cat on a fence.  The moral of the story:  don't be mean
to your pussy cat!

Here are the details on the Murray versions (courtesy, Frank Hoffman, Dick
Carty, and Quentin Riggs's Murray bio):

Don't Do that to the Poor Pussy Cat
Accompanied by the Seven Blue Babies.
Edison Diamond Disc 52454-L.  Mx. 18858.  Recorded 1929

Don't Do that to the Poor Pussy Cat
Harmony 784-H.  Mx. 147465.  Recorded 1928.

Don't Do that to the Poor Pussy Cat
Velvet Tone 1784-V.  Mx. 147465.  Recorded 1928.

I suspect the mp3 I have is from either the Harmony or Velvet Tone version.

Sammy Jones