[78-L] Album Images Needed (2.1) Decca w. titles

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Fri Mar 12 08:15:10 PST 2010

David Lennick wrote:
> That's an interesting point, since the discs in my copy are later pressings. No
> booklet. I'll look and see if there's a copyright date on the cover (which is
> the same on front and back).

I was suspicious of the color picture noted because the first color
picture I know of is Gulliver's Travels #100, and then when I went to
load Han's impges I saw the bright red but lettered cover, and I
realized it was a reissue cover.  But send it on because I have a few
important comments to make about several covers I have in both the
original and reissue, especially #47 Songs of Old NY which I just got an
original of from Darrell Lehman's sale.  It demonstrates Decca's
imaginative use of colored papers on the early covers.  And I have
observations to make about the albums  with lettered covers but photos
on the inside covers like the Bob Crosby Han mentions, and then the ones
with the photo covers.  There is an evolution and a learning curve that
can only be seen with this large a group of images.
> My point about having original Parlophone pressings of some of the earliest
> numbers was that they were what were available to me, and in fact I don't think
> I've seen the Rosing and Kraus-Goldberg sets on US Decca whereas they were long
> catalogue staples on Parlophone. There are a few cases where the US versions
> definitely are better pressings, such as the Walton Symphony #1, but that was
> not a numbered album, just single discs 25600/5.
>
> dl

I need to check Rigler Deutsch to see if these exist in the archives --
but we do have some classical collectors here.  I am kinda pissed off
that the ARSCList is ignoring the requests excepts for Smolian's remark
about a couple of covers being enough.  All the archives seem too busy
to even check if they have the albums.   I've been defending them for
years saying they are NOT black holes.  Maybe I was wrong. The private
collectors come thru again!  (with help from R&H, of course.)

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com