[78-L] Album Images Needed (2.1) Decca w. titles

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Fri Mar 12 08:09:11 PST 2010

Cover illustration on back is also interesting. I do not know when this was introduced (usually I see
only the front) but it occurs on De albums 74 (Wizard Oz), 114 (Kress), 121 (Chicago Jazz),
but I do not know if these are early pressings (maybe first used on 74?).
I have 96 (Gershwin Songs 1) with wallpaper back, however.

Another difference between some early and later printings is the width of the binding on the front.
Pres. 1st pressings of 70/71 (Whiteman: Berlin Songs v.1/2) have a broad maroon band at the left,
thus reducing the size of the cover image to ca. a square, whereas a later release (A-70 on front;
label name in black rectangle) has a narrow band at the left.
A similar wide band near spine also on 60 (Gomez 2) & 63 (Congas), but now spine/band is
grey or green, and 100 (Gulliver).

Han Enderman
===
>>> That's an interesting point, since the discs in my copy are later pressings. No
booklet. I'll look and see if there's a copyright date on the cover (which is
the same on front and back).

My point about having original Parlophone pressings of some of the earliest
numbers was that they were what were available to me, and in fact I don't think
I've seen the Rosing and Kraus-Goldberg sets on US Decca whereas they were long
catalogue staples on Parlophone. There are a few cases where the US versions
definitely are better pressings, such as the Walton Symphony #1, but that was
not a numbered album, just single discs 25600/5.

dl

Han Enderman wrote:
> I have an image of Album 16 without any picture on the front cover; only the title/credit printed in white
> within a rectangle, on a plain red cover. Pres. the first edition. Since there is no album nr on the front,
> I did not know it until Mike described the album as "wanted".
> David must have a later pressing, and this may be clear from some contents. Possibly there is a booklet,
> but this may not have a printing date. An A-prefix is a later printing. But the label style may be an indication
> There are 3 types of blue Decca block label blanks, differing in the TRADE MARK legend just below the
> label name:
> 1 - orig. issues of De 2068-2072 state: Trade Mark Registered. - Released early 1938-spring 1941.
> 2 - next type says: Reg. U.S. Pat. Off. - Released ca. May-December 1941.
> 3 - following type has patent legend in tiny print over 2 lines, and a new manufacturer's line, ending with ...U.S.A.
> (on types 1/2 it's ending with ...Inc.). - Used late 1941-1945.
> Album 16 exists with these 3 label types (from label images). There may be additional variants of type 3,
> differing in the font used for the side number.
> David, can you say something about the release date of your album 16?
>
> My image of album 12 has a similar front cover (rectangle in upper right corner), but the booklet shows a
> tango dancing couple.
> Album 22 (Sousa) also without picture cover, and my guess would be that all these early albums have plain
> or wallpaper fronts.
> Album 32 (Bob Crosby Showcase) has text only cover (+ photos inside), but my image of 27 shows a Mexican hat (this
> is a pressing with label type 2). Album 33 (Boys from Syracuse) with photo cover (orig.??).
>
> Han Enderman
> ===
>> * 16 Ten Famous Rumbas Vol 1  Henry King
>> 	--has a nice full color cover of a dancing girl
>>

> That's good, because I was planning on commenting about #12 Ten Famous
> Tangos by Pancho & Orch that has a lettering cover but a real sezy photo
> on the booklet that they should have put on the cover.  They must have
> learned their lesson.
>> * 42 Gypsy Memories   Nicholas Matthey
>> 	--has only white lettering on black, left edge of album
>>
> This is one of the styles that they used on a whole series of covers,
> but always in different colors.
> (m.biel) <<<
<<<