[78-L] Album Images Needed (2.1) Decca w. titles

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Thu Mar 11 22:17:51 PST 2010

David Lennick wrote:
> * 16 Ten Famous Rumbas Vol 1  Henry King
> 	--has a nice full color cover of a dancing girl

That's good, because I was planning on commenting about #12 Ten Famous
Tangos by Pancho & Orch that has a lettering cover but a real sezy photo
on the booklet that they should have put on the cover.  They must have
learned their lesson.
> * 42 Gypsy Memories   Nicholas Matthey
> 	--has only white lettering on black, left edge of album

This is one of the styles that they used on a whole series of covers,
but always in different colors.  I'm beginning now to think of showing
the Deccas in groupings of the different styles rather than purely
numerical.  Over on ARSC-List Smolian asked why show all the covers,
saying that showing just the first one or two covers would make my
point.  He was one of the consultants on the $500 Steinweiss book
confirming the dates of issues of his covers.  Apparently he didn't tell
them (or they didn't listen) that there were years of display covers
before Steinweiss's first cover.
> I have a few of the early numbers, but on the original Parlophone pressings.
>
> dl

But it's not the records I need!  Ironically yesterday I was reading an
article in a late-30s American Music Liver by a collector who spent the
Summer in London and reported on his record shopping there.  He
specifically said the Parlophones were gritty and compared them to
American Deccas.  What was funny -- and sad -- was that a couple of days
before leaving for the U.S. he read an article in the AML that had
arrived in London about American customs agents confiscating records
that had labels with trademarks used in the US, so he spent his last
night in London scratching the trademarks off the records!  And when he
arrived in NY the customs inspector didn't care about the records.  .He
also commented that the price of classical records in England was LESS
than in the U.S!

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com