[78-L] Pee Wee Marquette

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Thu Mar 11 15:49:23 PST 2010

Terry Gibbs told me some very funny stories about Marquette in his autobiography that I helped write. Pee Wee called Eddie Shaughnessy "Shaw-genessey" and Teddy Kotick became "Teddy Kotex." When Terry had to miss the opening of his Birdland date to receive a plaque from Down Beat on "The Steve Allen Show," Marquette told the audience, "Terry Gibbs is going to be a little late because he's getting the plague on TV."

Marquette didn't demand money to pronounce your name correctly; he wanted money just to say your name at all. When Terry asked him to name off everyone in his quintet one night, Marquette asked for a dollar for each name. When Terry found out Marquette had also asked each individual in the band for a dollar without Terry's knowledge, Terry called him on it. Marquette's answer: "Business is business, Terry. Business is business."

Cary Ginell