[78-L] Capitol Compact 33s

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Thu Mar 11 14:13:07 PST 2010

I've heard that as well, but every copy I've ever acquired has the tenor sax
solo. As I say, they may have just dumped all those pressings in Canada,
because I've had it at least 4 times and Canada got imported pressings until
1949. Does anyone have it on black label with the piano solo? Purple label, yes.

Capitol or MacGregor was apparently pretty lax about labelling takes on the
lacquers.

Lord sez:

112    Eager beaver (take 3) (sk arr)    Cap 159 (first pressing only)
112    Eager beaver (take 4) (sk arr)    Cap 159, 903, 15192, F15439,
CDF/H/T-190, SN66027,
         T/DT/SM-2327, Cap (Can)C-134, Cap (E)LC6517,
         CW ST-1047, V Disc 285, Ajax C-653, BOMR 81-7572,
         Franklin Mint 57, MFP 5607, Cap CDP7-97350-2 [CD],
         (Jap)TOCJ-5651 [CD], Cap CDMID-166219 [CD]

So it may be that there are "correct" issues of 159. I don't think I've ever
seen one, and since Take 3 has been reissued several times just on 78, it's not
something I'd have looked for.

dl