[78-L] First Decca albums

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Thu Mar 11 09:18:14 PST 2010

Han Enderman wrote:
> I have an image of a Decca "envelope" titled 'Home On The Range: A Collection Of Cowboy Songs',
> containing De 1427-1429 by Frank Luther and The Luther Trio, recd 25 June 1937.
> The envelope contains the 3 records in sleeves.
> I assume that this set was first issued in 1937. The orig. issue should have sunburst labels.
> The image shows Decca block labels, and thus was issed in 1938 or later.
> There is no album nr on the labels.
>
> Was this set issued before Decca album 1?

Yes.  This is K-14 in the Children' Record's.   "All Sets Complete with
Colorful Gift Envelopes."   I'm only briefly mentioning kids records
because that is a whole different can of worms that would double the
length of my presentation and Peter Muldaven should really be the one to
do this part.   But  I am mentioning that these started very early in
Decca's history, K-1 is 252-254, and in the 1941 catalog slightly
overlaps the albums, running to K-22 3147-3149.  They then continued the
multi-record kids sets mainly in the regular album series, but continued
the kid's K series as mainly attractive packaged single discs, even
reusing the numbers.   There's a later K-14 that is a single disc with
Dick Haymes doing The Lords Prayer.

> The first Decca album of which I have some info is album 10 (= De 1907-1911) (Hawaiian tunes).
> Can someone tell me which ISSUES (catalogue nrs) are in Albums 1-9, so that I can check
> the label images?
>
> Han Enderman

I'll send you a scans off list of the numerical album list from the 1941
catalog that I am using.  It lists the disc numbers as well because
Decca sold the individual discs to customers if they desired.  Prior to
album ten, all of the  albums were from the 29xxx and23xxx series except
#5 which is  Johann Strauss Waltzes for Dancing , Harry Horlick & HO,
1774-78.  Album #4 was 23062-64 French Folk Songs For Children, and the
other albums contained in order 29022 thru 29050 except 29038.  Split up
appropriately, of course.  The images I have of #7 Dohnanyni Miniatures,
#8 Bruckner Overtures, both by Henry Wood & Queen's Hall O, and #9
Waltom Viola Conc by Riddle & Walton are possibly album jackets made up
in the post war years to provide covers for the small quantities of
remaining discs in stock.  They are marked as being donated to the NYPL
in 1948.  I have no images of #1 Moussorgsky Songs by Vladimir Rosing,
#s2& 3 Beethoven Sonatas Vol 1&2 by Simon Goldberg and Lili Krauss, or
#9 Russian Songs by Rosing..  I'd really love to find the original
covers for these.

I'll get the revised Decca list with titles out this evening, but for
starters let me mention that Han has already provided me with images of
12, 34, 36, 37, 47 (reissue?), 56, 60 62, 63, 65, 80, 89, 103, and 125
so you can cross them off your list.  He also supplied G Schirmer #1
Bauer.  MUCH thanks!!

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com

> Jack Kapp at American Decca was the first to establish a major series
> of albums of varied genres, mostly popular, in late 1937.  By the time
Steinweiss illustrated his first cover in 1940 for Columbia, Decca had
already issued over 100 albums, many illustrated with cover photos, and
all others with colorful papers and are-deco lettering.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com