[78-L] Leonard Feather's Inside Jazz

Jeff Sultanof jeffsultanof at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 03:51:42 PST 2010

Geoffrey,

Thanks for reminding me that sometimes Giddins doesn't know what he's
talking about. How he could theorize that Monk was fall-guy is strange. Monk
was a peripheral figure during that time; few people were into what he was
doing, and Feather wanted to concentrate on the major figures of the music
to make his points, as he wrote the book to clear up a lot of
misunderstandings.

Giddins does not name these later generations of critics, a common flaw in
his writing. I believe him, but frankly hindsight is great when you don't
know the facts.

Jeff Sultanof