[78-L] Leonard Feather's Inside Jazz

Geoffrey Wheeler dialjazz at verizon.net
Wed Mar 10 21:13:19 PST 2010

Here’s a shortened version of what Gary Giddens has to say about
Feather’s “Inside Bebop.”

In 1949, Feather published his first book, a shocking-pink $2 paperback
with a tiny picture of his head ("the first critic to herald the new
movement in jazz") under the title, Inside Be-Bop. It opened,
hilariously, with six epigrams eviscerating bebop, including one from
Hammond, who at the time found the whole subject of modern jazz
anathema. Only 103 pages, it had an incalculable impact, making the
case for Charlie Parker and Dizzy Gillespie biographically,
historically, and musically: even by today's standards, the
transcriptions are exemplary. ... And though later generations of
critics rebuked it and him for missing the boat on Thelonious Monk (my
theory is he felt he needed a fall-guy to underscore the evaluative
weight of his endorsements), he captained the ferry that brought Parker
and company to port. Inside Be-Bop is probably the most plagiarized
book ever published about jazz, as Leonard was quick to note. I told
him much of the stealing was inadvertent: The book's central ideas
passed so quickly into the realm of received wisdom, they were iterated
by writers with no idea of their provenance. ...”