[78-L] Capitol Compact 33s

Dan Van Landingham danvanlandingham at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 10 20:11:22 PST 2010

I had an MGM 78 of Herman with Eckstine.I hated it even if the arrangement was by Pete Rugolo.In a
 March,1947 interview he gave to one of the jazz magazines,he claimed he hated blues because he felt
he could do nothing with them.He sounded bored on a 1946 National 78 which is in my collection though
it was available on CD by Arista on their so called "Savoy Sessions" series.I was more impressed with
his 1944 performance of "I Stay in the Mood For You" which showed him in good stead and it had a great
Dizzy trumpet solo.