[78-L] Capitol Compact 33s

Dan Van Landingham danvanlandingham at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 9 19:09:04 PST 2010

Back in 1974 I saw alot of Capitol 33s that came off the jukeboxes here in the Coos Bay-North Bend area.There is a shop in downtown Coos Bay that used to service the jukeboxes here and I saw hundreds
of them.I have a Seeburg extension speaker I was given by the current owner several years ago.I had two:
I used the 8 " speaker from one and put it in a 1948 Hallicrafters general coverage communications receiver
I used until the output transformer for the speaker shorted out.I used to have some Roulette 33 singles in
stereo of the Count Basie band(arrangements by Benny Carter).The Everests I have are the ones from the
late '50s when they were owned by some outfit called Belock instruments.Much of it is classical but I have
an album by Woody Herman and another by his former bassist Chubby Jackson who was leading a big
band then.The last Everest album I acquired was a 1963 album by Coleman Hawkins which was reissued
on CD;I got it off  ebay some years ago after hearing this one track called "Hawk Talk" on a bootleg cas-
sette I picked up some years ago.The name of the shop that repaired the jukeboxes was called "Sunset
Automatic Music Company".I also picked up some vintage 78s there in '94 plus a Kapp 45 of "My Dream
Sonata" by Roger Williams that looked like it hadn't been played since 1955.I also picked up some near
mint King 45s by Little Willie John and Hank Ballard and the Midnighters.I also found some near mint MGM 45s on of which was a strange Chubby Jackson combo recording of "Mom Jackson","Follow the
Leader" and a couple more.These records were also in very nice shape.I no longer own the latter.Woody
Herman also recorded for MGM and I found some of their 45s at the same shop.I have no idea when he
recorded them but they had to have been sometime in the late '40s.