[78-L] Two Black Crows

Ron L'Herault lherault at bu.edu
Tue Mar 9 10:16:29 PST 2010

"I knew there was a catch to it."

Ron L

-----Original Message-----
From: 78-l-bounces at klickitat.78online.com
[mailto:78-l-bounces at klickitat.78online.com] On Behalf Of David Sanderson
Sent: Tuesday, March 09, 2010 9:52 AM
To: 78-L Mail List
Subject: Re: [78-L] Two Black Crows

On 3/9/2010 12:03 AM, Taylor Bowie wrote:

>>> I think these two veins are too close together.

>> I won't even answer that one, but I'm sure Julian will. Oddly enough,
>> that's
>> one of the few gags not in this "best of" compendium:
>> http://www.stanfisk.com/Poems/The_Two_Black_Crows.shtml
>>
>> dl
>

> I guess the compiler and I have a different idea of what makes up  the
"best
> of" the TBCs.

My impression is that the material came mostly from Charles Mack, or at
least he seems to get credit for it.  George Moran was good, but I
regard Mack as brilliant, both in his material and that odd sort of lazy
dialect he affected.  Listen to his phrasing and timing on the records.
  My impression is that everybody had the 1/2 disk, but that the later
disks were less common.  Moran turns up much later in several W.C.
Fields movies as an Indian (Fields knew the pair from Ziegfeld
appearances in the 1920's).

--
David Sanderson
East Waterford Maine