[78-L] The Investigator (Was: "IT", Was:Presidents on radio/McCarthy)

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Tue Mar 9 08:26:32 PST 2010

Mike Harkin wrote:
>>IT = "The Investigator"

David Lennick wrote:
 > Oooooh, THAT! dl

Well, now that we know it is "The Investigator" is is Lennick who is
tagged as it.  How about  it -- can you dig up one of those original
complete copies?  I'd love to have it in its context with the open and
close, and in better quality if it so happens.

As I mentioned, I have a number of original Columbia pressings and
several later ones including the very inferior Broadside.  What is
interesting is that most of the original pressings I see do not have the
liner notes -- the reverse of the cover is BLANK.  This added to the
mystique of the record  because so many people who had it did not know
any of its background.  It was truly underground and mysterious.  I
think the first time I found a copy with the original back cover was a
later black label copy with the handwritten XTV matrix numbers, the type
made by the Everest Group that we found in the annual college bookstore
traveling record sales.

My background with this recording is likewise even more "underground".
In 1956 I am 10 and in my first summer at sleep-away camp, and my bunk's
counselor has an open-reel VM tape recorder.  As a progressive college
kid, a couple of the tapes he had were dubs of Tom Lehrer and The
Investigator.  (He also played a lot a recording of a military chorus
singing "The Red Ball Express" from an Ed Sullivan program.)  As a kid I
didn't understand all of what Lehrer was singing about--to me dope meant
someone stupid, so The Old Dope Peddler was selling stupid people, and
giving kids free samples of stupid people???   Even then I was watching
the news so I did know something about the McCarthy hearings but
certainly had no idea about the politics.

But to answer the comment as to whether it holds up now, it does because
even kids who did not know what the satire meant could enjoy it then.
The best part were the running gags, especially bringing in all the
wrong Karl Marxes.  "Oh no no no.  I'm Karl Marx the fish cleaner."  And
sending all the witnesses "from uo here . . . . . . to down there"  and
that great wind music swirling from up here to down there with a final
thud.  And then the report of the devil getting pissed off because all
of the Karl Marxes are holding rallys.  I loved it then and once I
realized what it was all about, I love it more.  It is one of the
greatest pieces of political satire of the century.

It turns out (of course) that there is a good web page about it with
audio by permission of the CBC, but my computer cannot play RealPlayer
because it turns off my modem ever time the player is started, so I do
not know the quality or if the open and close is there.  Can someone
check it out and report back?
http://www.albany.edu/jmmh/vol3/investigator/investigator.html

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com