[78-L] Coolidge

David Sanderson dwsanderson685 at roadrunner.com
Tue Mar 9 06:44:11 PST 2010

On 3/8/2010 5:13 PM, Tom wrote:
> The story I'd heard was that Mrs. Coolidge had one of her lady
> friends over for lunch one day, and the friend said to President
> Coolidge, "I bet Mrs. Coolidge that I could get you to say three
> words at lunch today."
>
> President Coolidge replied, "You lose."

Notwithstanding his reputation for dourness, Coolidge seems to have had
the Yankee instinct for humor.  I have an unlikely object, a Calvin
Coolidge calendar for 1933, which has for each month a humorous Coolidge
anecdote, including a version of the story above.  I think that he never
got to record this material, which would have been a lot of fun.

Just for good measure, the 78 rpm musical connection with Coolidge is
via his uncle, John Wilder, a fiddler who recorded a few sides and was
briefly notable in about 1926.

--
David Sanderson
East Waterford Maine