[78-L] Coolidge

buster busterdog at mac.com
Mon Mar 8 14:52:52 PST 2010

Coolidge was a New Englander, which goes a long way towards explaining his taciturn approach to the world.

My Great-Uncle Ransom Carver, born in 1902 here in Boston, was taken by Great-Grandfather to visit the President - how this came about is lost, but certainly the White House was far more accessible in those days, and Great-Grandfather was a prominent attorney from an old New England family.  Having just graduated Harvard, Uncle Ran asked President Coolidge if he had any advice for a young man just starting out in the world.

Coolidge reflected for a moment, then replied "Never pass up an opportunity to use the restroom."

Good advice, presidential or not, and our family has followed it ever since.