[78-L] 1st Family (was: It's BAAAACK!)

Michael Shoshani mshoshani at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 7 07:31:17 PST 2010

On Sat, 2010-03-06 at 23:41 -0500, Steven C. Barr wrote:
> As well, JFK's notable "accent" made
> it quite easy to parody his speech patterns; OTOH, virtually all of the
> previous presidents had the hopelessly-bland sound of the "midwest"...?!

Only two that the general public had heard: Eisenhower and Truman.

Roosevelt was from New York but his public addresses were in that
affected "long-throw" school of oratory that was popular in the 19th and
early 20th centuries, but which is virtually unknown today.

Hoover was from the midwest, but I don't know how much radio exposure
his voice got...it was probably more likely that it was captured on
newsreels. Coolidge was a Vermonter, but Harding was from Ohio. Harding
was from before sound films and widespread radio, but maybe he had a
phonograph record or two.

MS