[78-L] Rolling Stones question ^

agp agp2176 at verizon.net
Sat Mar 6 07:51:35 PST 2010

At 05:35 06/03/2010, DL wrote:
>Would you settle for Black Sabbath?
>http://www.cdandlp.com/item/2/0-110406-15-1-0/114145548/blacksabbath-sabotage.html
>
>dl

I have heard that they actually sound just right when played at 78,
depending upon the pharmaceuticals consumed

>Royal Pemberton wrote:
> > I'd think the same as you....just for completist fanatics.  (One thing I
> > have yet to hear of:  the existence of any Rolling Stones material on 78.)

This has been something that I have been trying to unearth for years.

Given that the big British companies, Pye and EMI, all had 78s issued
in usual places (India, Philippines, South America) during the
'British Invasion' era, it would seem that Decca would be in that
pack. They are conspicuously absent though. In fact, the only Decca
78 RPM of 'british beat' stuff I've ever seen was a Brazilian 78 of
Telstar by the Tornados, and that is pushing the envelope as it is
1962, and it can be argued that the Tornados aren't really a part of
that genre. So, I have never seen any 1964-ish Decca artist on 78.