[78-L] Spot the Microdot

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Thu Mar 4 19:56:29 PST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Lewis" <uncledavelewis at hotmail.com>
> Here we go with WIRED weighing in on the history of the microphone. There
> is at least one major error in this article -- isn't that the case always?
> Nevertheless, it would be fun to hear about it from you guys; you always
> manage to find stuff that even I miss:

Well...for one thing, Berliner did NOT "develop the vinyl disc record...?!"
Polyvinyl
didn't even exist in 1889 (nor did ANY sort of "plastic...?!). Berliner's
first records
used wax-coated zinc discs to create "masters;" he later started using the
shellac-based
compound for the copies he sold...!

Steven C. Barr