[78-L] Spot the Microdot

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Thu Mar 4 08:59:16 PST 2010

A major error??  The ENTIRE ARTICLE is based on an error.  It does state
that the courts eventually found that it was Edison who invented the
carbon button mic.  The reason is that Berliner invented a different
version of the loose coupled microphone.  The mic you see on the right
is a reconstructed model of his first experiment. It is a child's drum
with a pinhole in the center of the drumhead.  You see dangling down on
a wire a metal ball.  There is a similar one on the back of the
drumhead.  When the durmhead vibrates the balls bounce around and make
and break perfect contact giving a variable resistance to a current.
There is NO CARBON involved.  I once wrote that there was no
relationship between this and the carbon button and got back a LONG
letter from Oliver Berliner explaining the principle between the two
balls being loosely coupled was the same as the carbon graduals being
loosely coupled in the mic and changing resistance as they got moved
around.  So there is a tie-in, but it was Edison who used carbon, not
Berliner. Berliner's June 4, 1877 original patent application apparently
made no mention of carbon, but an additional Sept 3, 1880  filing added
an option to have a layer of carbon.  Edison had already been using carbon.

Is this the error you spotted?

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com