[78-L] KKK records

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun Feb 28 13:24:30 PST 2010

Banjo Bud wrote:
> Has anyone actually listened to these recordings?  They are about as
> innocuous as they can be.  The most offensive thing about them is perhaps
> the KKK label, and what it represents.  But the content.....strictly extreme
> religious right wing musings.
>
> Bud
I did bring up that possibility earlier,

>> Although I have also not heard any of them (other than a regular
>> Gennett issue of Keep Cool With Coolidge) I don't think that these
>> can be anywhere near as offensive as some of the racist 45s that
>> were issued in the 60s.  I think Johnny Reb was one of them and
>> he was identified by someone when we discussed this last. I don't
>> even want to think about what bilge some of our "citizens" are
>> distributing on the web right now. Lord knows we got our crazies even in this town.

I would think "Daddy Stole Our Last Clean Sheet and Went To Join the Klan" has got to be a comedy song.  Anybody know?

On the other hand, a LARGE hoard of recordings of Father Coughlin turned up a few years ago, and Elixabeth McLoud and I were musing as to how thoroughly evil his broadcasts really did become now that we could hear them and not just read about them.  And then we started to get some postings from a lister who started defending Coughlin and reciting his views.  There ARE some creeps who do believe this bilge.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com