[78-L] KKK records

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sat Feb 27 18:05:06 PST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Martin Fenton" <mafenton at talktalk.net>
> Thomas Stern wrote:
>> http://www.tjsrecords.com/kkk.htm
> Is there anybody who would willingly pay $15 for a  copy of "The Cross
> In The Wildwood" even though it is broken in two straight across the
> label? Or am I that out of touch with the collecting mentality?

Oddly enough, it just might be purchased! A 78 which is "broken in two"
(as described) can very easily be "reconstructed" and then played, for
taping or digitizing; for example, the two halves can be reassembled by
"ad-heeing" them to an intact 78 (Scotch tape, usw.) and then playing
the result! One can even use "epoxy glue" to keep the halves together...?!

The more common breaks will result in the disc breaking along one turn
of its groove; in such cases, the thickness of the layer of glue will mean
that the two pieces do NOT fit tightly together. Since the groove is c.
.005" wide, a .002" layer of adhesive displaces the "outside" piece
to the point that the player needle MAY (or may not) follow the original
groove path when it reaches the repair!

Steven C. Barr