[78-L] Superior label and Harlem Blue Knights

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Sat Feb 27 12:22:59 PST 2010

A single recording by the Harlem Blue Knights on Superior 101 is listed in Jazz Directory.
Jepsen omits the group and it is absent in Bruyninckx and pres. also in Lord.
Poss. it is also not in the last postwar blues dg, which I do not have.

It is a jazz/jump group, I assume, and it would be interesting to document its recordings.
Billboard (which is very difficult to consult here, pres. for copyright reasons) says in its
2 Mar 46 issue that Josef Zimanich, ex-ARA and now with Superior, cut batch of sides by
Jay Russell's Harlem Blue Knights.
The 15 Jun 46 issue refers to Going Jam-Mad & Jump Jump on Supreme 102.
Supreme 103 not known to me.
104 is again the Harlem Blue Knights, A side with Helen Andrews and reverse not known.

Can someone supply info on titles, personnel and recording date of this group?

Six other jazz recordings for this label were made by Abe Most.

Han Enderman