[78-L] KKK records

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sat Feb 27 00:00:54 PST 2010

From: malcolm at 78data.com

Don Chichester wrote:
 > Last I heard, Mike Montgomery (of player-piano fame) was collecting
 > Rainbow Records, including KKK discs. Don

 From what I remember from the last time this subject came up 5 or so
years ago, it was determined that Homer never recorded any of them
himself nor issued then on his label, but he might have recorded at
Gennett the same day as one of the Klan records. However, I think
someone turned up a Klan songbook which his publishing company printed
as a print contract job.

>> I'm also seeking a possible collector that specializes in this sort of
>> material
When I was looking thru records at the first dealer to the left inside
the door at the Wayne Music Machines show, a friend of his came to show
him about 7 or 8 Klan records he had just bought.  Don't remember who
either of them were, and he didn't mention how much he paid for them.
>> (I know, I know... distasteful as the racist content of these
>> recordings may be to many collectors there surely must be someone who
>> has knowledge in this area).   Mal Rockwell
Although I have also not heard any of them (other than a regular Gennett
issue of Keep Cool With Coolidge) I don't think that these can be
anywhere near as offensive as some of the racist 45s that were issued in
the 60s.  I think Johnny Reb was one of them and he was identified by
someone when we discussed this last.  I don't even want to think about
what bilge some of our "citizens" are distributing on the web right now.
Lord knows we got our crazies even in this town.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com