[78-L] 78 playback (was) CEDAR VS SONNOX

Jeff Sultanof jeffsultanof at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 11:33:39 PST 2010

Doug,

By all means toot your own horn. Your work is exemplary. As a matter of
fact, I wish I was producing a project so that I could be there when you do
the transfers and pick your brain (with your permission of course). And yes,
I know what you say is true about transferring from metal as I've seen and
heard this firsthand when I was in the publishing business full-time.

Once upon a time, there was a turntable that I believe was developed in
Japan where the grooves were read by a laser. The idea seems to have
incredible potential in my opinion, as it can isolate and read any part of
the groove. And yet I understood that this turntable was discontinued and no
one has seen fit to further develop this approach to remastering older
sources. Can you enlighten me?

Many thanks,
Jeff Sultanof