[78-L] Last Columbia 78s was Re: Last Canadian Columbia 78

agp agp2176 at verizon.net
Fri Feb 26 09:15:12 PST 2010

Just to further the fun, I know that (US) Columbia continued with 78s
into the 60s in some markets well known for having 78s in that era.

In Mexico they continued into 1961, but I do not know if that was for
the domestic series only as opposed to material sourced from the USA.
Label style is similar to the US 45 label with the boxed arc Columbia
at the top and one walking eye. In 1961, Lealla by the Blue Caps (not
Gene Vincent's group) on 20.976

In South Africa, El Paso by Marty Robbins was issued as a 78 around
the end of 59, maybe early 1960. This was however on their CBS
imprint. Catalogue was CC.359

In Brazil, Bop-a-Lena by Ronnie Self was issued in 1958 on CO-3025.
This was a unique blue and silver label with two walking eyes at 3 and 9 oclock

In the Philippines, Gina is by Johnnie Mathis appeared on catalog
42585 in late 1962. Label style is similar to Mexico. One additional
note -- a domestic only release of Mathis singing In The Still of the
Night appeared in 1959 on catalog 2136. In the late 50 they used a
version of the Canadian 4 eye label only in yellow

I am pretty sure 78s continued in the usual South American countries,
Argentina, Uruguay, Peru, etc until at least 1962.