[78-L] Rex Hollywood

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Feb 26 08:01:59 PST 2010

Glenn Longwell wrote:
 > Having read that Maurice Rapoport, the owner of Rex Records record
store and the Metro/Rex/Rem labels, didn't pay royalties to the artists
then skipped off to Mexico I was wondering if these Tatum sides on
Rex/Rem were bootlegs or legitimate reissues. So I did a little
searching in Billboard.

 > It turns out he paid for the masters with a bogus check on a closed
account then didn't show up on the court date (3/8/47).  Cited with
contempt of court he must have eventually paid.  An article a year later
(5/15/48) about MGM stopping him from using the Metro name says that was
pressing numerous disks from purchased ARA masters.  This article says
he received a 30 day jail sentence and fined for not adhering to an
injunction to stop selling Metro records after a certain date.  This guy
just couldn't be trusted could he?

 > Glenn
========
The following is from the notes by Mark Gardner on Onyx 215 (Central
Avenue Breakdown; Volume 2 Teddy Edwards/Barney Kessel/Slim Gaillard):

"One of the labels that sprang up in that period was Rex, owned by one
Maury Rappoport and among his signings was a young guileless tenor
saxophonist called Teddy Edwards. In July 1947 Teddy agreed to make
eight sides for Rappoport and contracted trumpeter Benny Bailey, pianist
Duke Brooks, bassist Addison Farmer and drummer Roy Porter for the date.
The five musicians were never paid.

According to Teddy they took Rappoport to court but the Rex attorney
managed to obtain a postponement. 'We didn't get back to court before he
was busted. This character was about as crooked as could be. If he could
make more money doing a legitimate deal, he would have to lose. He
eventually ended up on Alcatraz for selling pornography to minors,'
recalls the saxophonist. 'In spite of it all he was a likeable
guy...fool that I am!'"

      Julian Vein

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4897 (20100226) __________

http://www.eset.com