[78-L] Last Canadian Columbia 78

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Thu Feb 25 18:51:49 PST 2010

This was discussed on 78-L in 2005 and I saved the following info, so we would know forever:

"What is the latest catalog # for 78s on the Canadian Columbia label? Were
the 1958 and '59 issues all country music or were there some pop issues thrown
in as well?

Five Blobs is 41250. Waterloo is 41393. I asked because I just got a copy of
"Five Feet High & Rising"/"I Got Stripes" by Johnny Cash which is 41427 and
charted beginning in August 1959. That's the latest one I've seen; the Horton
(Battle of New Orleans) is 41339.
Cary Ginell"

Han Enderman
===
>>> It charted in August '59 (must have been a slow summer). That's one I've never
seen on 78.

dl

agp wrote:
> A little while ago we were discussing what be the last 78 issued by
> Columbia in Canada. A candidate for the end of the line just came up
> on oBoo. Its Columbia 41427 and it looks like it says 7-59 on it. Oh
> .. its Johnny Cash and "Five Feet High And Rising" / "I Got Stripes".
> Seller says "Recorded: Early 1950's" which is of course wrong.
>
> see it on
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-JOHNNY-CASH-78-ON-THE-COLUMBIA-WALKING-EYE-LABEL_W0QQitemZ130370115251QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMusic_on_Vinyl?hash=item1e5aaa16b3
>
> or item 130370115251

<<<