[78-L] Accordionist Irving “Roy” Ross

Geoffrey Wheeler dialjazz at verizon.net
Thu Feb 25 15:31:01 PST 2010

In a recent Subject, I mentioned a previously unlisted 10-inch lacquer
disc with Charlie Parker playing “Now’s the Time” on Art Ford’s WNEW
“Saturday Night Swing Session.” I mentioned that Parker’s solo was
followed by an accordionist. He has since been identified to me as
Irving “Roy” Ross, said to be leader of the WNEW house band. I have a
tape with parts of two Swing Session broadcasts where the house band
participates. I don’t recall whether any of the personnel is
identified.

 From one of Anthony Barnet’s Internet listings, here is information
about an Eddie South recording session with Roy Ross as part of the
personnel.

new session ref BC/67, fol.; Country Sessions
DENVER DARLING
?–Henry Lewis on some (tp), ?–Sal Franzella on some (cl), Eddie South
(vn), ?–Frank Froeba (pn), ?–Irving Roy Ross (ac, md), ?–Vaughn Horton
(st gt), ?–Lester Braun (sb), ?–Phil Kraus (dm), Denver Darling,
?–Rosalie Allen, ensemble (vc)
?–Linden, New Jersey – c.May 1946
a D214 I’m Gonna Sue Sioux City Sue – South solo, obbligato – Denver,
ensemble (vc)
b D215 I’ve Just Gotta Be a Cowboy – South solo, obbligato – Denver (vc)
c D216 Think of Home – South solo, obbligato – Denver, ensemble incl.
female [?–Rosalie Allen] (vc)
d D217 I Was Dreaming Someone Else’s Dream – South solo, obbligato –
Denver, ensemble (vc)
78
DeLuxe 5015 (a,d)
DeLuxe 5016 (b,c)
LP
Audio Lab LP1507 (a,c) Denver Darling, Songs of the Trail
CD
BACM [EN] 136 (a,c) Denver Darling, vol. 2, Singing on the Range

NOTE
Note ?–Lester Braun (sb): DeLuxe was owed by David and Jules Braun.
¶South is not the violinist on other Darling sessions. ¶South is not
the violinist on other Darling sessions.