[78-L] 78rpm speed

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Wed Feb 24 22:37:09 PST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "jack palmer" <jackpalmer1 at att.net>
> As a casual consumer, I bought my first record player in 1949. It was a 45
> player that plugged into a radio, which was perfect for me as I lived in a
> barracks on an Air Force base. The first two speed player I ever saw was
> in 1948 when the LP was introduced. Within a few years, 3 speed players
> appeared. The 45 was a more convenient format for the space I had and I
> immediately grabbed it when it appeared. Within a year I had over 300 45s.
> Jack

I grew up listening to my dad's 78's as a VERY young child (probably about 4
or 5?)...on a very
large RCA Victor radio-phonograph (which also had short wave, and brought in
Chicago's
police calls just above the AM band!). I eventually inherited my dad's 78's
(no one else in the
family WANTED them?!) and they were the nucleus of an ever-growing 78
collection/
accumulation...! We later bought another RCA Victor "hi-fi" after we left
the Chicago
area. All three of us brothers were given a small table-model "record
player" for Christmas
in, IIRC, 1957 or thereabouts; that's when I used to buy cheap 45's from
local jukebox
operators, usually 4 or 5 for $1...!

Steven C. Barr