[78-L] 78rpm speed

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Wed Feb 24 09:44:10 PST 2010

Broadcast turntables were dual speed from the early 30s, and there were
some dual speed tables for home use when the Program Transcription came
out at that same time, and there were some school use of ETs in the late
30 thru the 40s so there were dual speed tables in schools as well.  (I
have the ETs that were still in my high school when I was on the AV
squad in the early 60s.  I asked for them as soon as they threw out the
only 16-inch player!)  But I think the terminology was usually
"Standard" and either LP or ET, when referring to the Program
Transcriptions or Electrical Transcriptions.  Of course, short
recordings were sometimes cut on ETs at 78, so perhaps broadcasters
would call them "78 ETs".   When the Columbia Lp and the 45 came out,
this was the first time broadcasters also had to worry about stylus size
as well as speed, so "microgroove 33s" or "ET 33s"   might have entered
their lingo.   When Decca started to issue records and albums on all
three speeds, the number was the designator on the sleeves, on the back
of the jackets, and in the catalog.  RCA emphasized "45" immediately
from the very beginning.  They were always called "forty-fives".  They
could have been called "Standard", "forty-five", and "Long playing", but
I bet that once RCA ALWAYS used the designation of the speed number,
that was the clincher for 78, 45, and 33.  In looking thru a lot of
original publications from the mid 30s to early 40s, I don't recall any
mention of 78 or 78s.  But as I write my script I will now make careful
note for you of any time I might see these designations.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com