[78-L] Research Question: Jim Walsh

Gregg Kimball gdkimball at cox.net
Tue Feb 23 05:25:06 PST 2010

Hello everyone,

I am doing some research to try to determine the extent and operations of
the "Richmond Territory" in the late 1920s ans early 1930s, as described in
Talking Machine World.  That is, the business region surrounding Richmond,
Virginia, to which Richmond record and victrola dealers were selling.  I
made copies of many articles related to the Virginia trade from TMW a number
of years ago.  I am also working through some newspaper sources in Virginia.

In poking around the internet, I saw Tim Gracyk's interesting article on Jim
Walsh, which mentioned his article "Selling Records in a Mountain Town,"
published in the September 1929 issue of TMW.  I intend to go look at
Walsh's papers at the Library of Congress, but I know he published
extensively.  Could anyone here identify other "must read" articles that
Walsh wrote describing his record selling experiences in Virginia?

Any other ideas for research would be welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Gregg Kimball