[78-L] University of Georgia Glee Club records

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Mon Feb 22 10:03:56 PST 2010

Sammy Jones wrote:
> I thought of contacting the Atlanta Historical Society to see if they had anything...I may do that today.
>
> I, too, thought that mention of Fairchild was interesting.  Was Fairchild equipment as good as Presto or some of the other well-known pro gear manufacturers?

Fairchild himself was rather flamboyant.  The company name was Fairchild
Aerial Camera Co. and he started out as a flyboy making precision
cameras.  He was a music lover and added recorders to his product line
back in the uncoated aluminum days, and was the only company to promote
16-inch uncoated discs.  The problem was bamboo or fibre needles for
playback couldn't stay sharp enough for more than five minutes so he
developed a bamboo needle with the pores impregnated with some sort of
plastic so they could last 15 minutes.  I have only a blank disc-- don't
know of any recorded ones.  The machine I have is from around the late
30s and is very similar to the larger portable Presto.

> Does your Fairchild allow the recordist to change the recording characteristic, or would that have been a function of the microphone amplifier?  I'm wondering what turnover setting I should use to play these.  RIAA sounded okay...

I don't remember what controls are on the amp.  The pre-emphasis
concepts were pretty crude in those days.  Presto even had an attachment
that would boost the highs the further in you got towards the label.  I
think things like Orthacoustic or NAB curves would be externally applied
to the imput.

> The recordings actually sound very good despite the heavy surface noise.  The voices are balanced and the disc has some pretty decent bass response.

Just play 'em the way they sound best!

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com