[78-L] OT Musical genres^

Jeff Sultanof jeffsultanof at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 04:28:44 PST 2010

Jack,

I agree that Byers and Carisi were one-of-a-kind, fantastic musicians. Byers
could write a score for 100 musicians while on the toilet, and Carisi's
chamber music showed that he could have been a major composer. I studied
with Carisi for a very brief time, and I'm what hurt him was his attitude.
He'd been burned a few times and I don't think ever got over it, and he wore
his frustration daily. When I last saw him, he was playing trumpet in a band
backing the Barry Sisters at a Bronx beach club. Johnny Mandel, a pretty
fluent writer himself, told me that Byers saved many asses in New York and
Hollywood, and also worked frequently in France, where he had a home.

Deutsch tended to do what you described on a first lesson back then. My
boss/mentor at Warner Bros, Anthony Esposito was one of his prize pupils,
studying Schillinger and arranging. He told me that Deutsch tended to say
things that he didn't mean at times, and wrote those short 48 page books to
scare and confound musicians who wanted simple answers and didn't want to
work very hard for them. If you really dig in to those books, and work
through the way they were written, Deutsch had some very interesting and
useful things to say. The students who studied with him for long periods
swore by him. Later on in his life, when people didn't know who he was,
students tended to find him a pussycat. He was a far better writer than
those Allegro articles show. I believe he is still alive (I've never seen an
obit on him).

Of course I believe that major and minor is a simplistic explanation as
described in my e-mail, but it is still effective with young children, who
are used to music with no melody to speak of, and it does get them listening
on a different level. Teaching music in an inner city is a fantastic,
frustrating experience; these kids hear all sorts of garbage, and kids TV
shows like "Yo Gabba Gabba" have some of the worst music I've ever heard,
but even the parents like it. So if I can use a simplistic way to get an
idea across that they actually can get, you bet I'll use it.

Jeff Sultanof