[78-L] OT Musical genres^

JD jdaney1 at cfl.rr.com
Sat Feb 20 11:51:59 PST 2010

> Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 10:34:37 -0500
> From: Jeff Sultanof <jeffsultanof at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [78-L] OT Musical genres^
> To: 78-L Mail List <78-l at klickitat.78online.com>
>
> This is a highly complex question as it is based on association more than
> anything else, association that most of us already know. Maury Deutsch had
> wonderful book on this concept for composers called Psychological
> Associations, which is still available. He would use polytonality in a
> scene
> if a main character was schizophrenic, to use an example. That is why the
> 12
> tone technique (Schonberg's, not Spud Murphy's) was perfect for the movie
> "The Cobweb," which was about a mental institution.

In 1950 I was interested in studying arranging which I'd been doing for
several years as an amateur and for the previous year professionally in
addition to playing. . I'd been extremely fortunate to recently meet and
work with  Billy Byers on a number of occasions.  I would often telephone
him to pick his brain about various arranging questions. Busy as he was then
he would graciously take the time to play in my rehearsal band to discuss
and explain my various music queries. Billy, btw along with later dear
friend and colleague Johnny Carisi were two of the true musical geniuses of
their time. I would often tell anyone who'd listen that when they left us
they would take a great deal of musical knowledge with them. There didn't
seem to be anything about music that they didn't know thoroughly.

Billy recommended that I call Maury Deutsch who used to advertise monthly in
"Allegro" the NYC musician's (local 802) union paper. I did and went for one
lesson, bought one of his publications, was rather beffudled and mystified
by  his concepts and never went back. In later years I came to believe that
he was probably typical of many dilletantes with a degree (doctor in his
case) who fancied themselves experts in their field but actually weren't.
This is an old story in the arts and in many aspecys of  the music arts in
particular.

 In the course of  that lesson he explained to me in simple technical detail
why brass instruments naturally blend better than saxophones. I'd already
had enough experience as a brass (trumpet) player to wonder about that
statement but kept silent assuming that he knew and I didn't. In letar years
and with more experience I realized the fallacy of that statement and that
the opposite was actually the fact

Some decades later Deutsch published a series of articles in Allegro on big
band scoring. I was amazed to see how amateurish and clumsy some of his
examples were. I don't mean to disparage Deutsch, he certainly was not an
incompetent and probably had something to offer but to try to shed some
light on the complexities of music and its various pitfalls. Unfortunately
Byers and I lost touch after that and I never got to discuss my Deutsch
experience or the reason for his suggestion of  him. I assumed that he had
seen Deutsch';s ads and was trying to help or maybe get off the hook. In any
case my  sessions with Billy were very fruitful and I was most appreciative.

> On a very basic level, if you are watching a movie or TV show and the
> scene
> is happy, the composer will usually write music that is in a major key,
> unhappy would indicate minor (remember I am talking very basic now; this
> idea is still taught in schools).

I'm glad that you qualified that. it's an old  simplistic concept that
belongs in the dark ages as you obviously are aware. which brings to mind a
GREAT !! short book that is a must read by anyone even remotely interested
in film and film music: Andre Previn's "No Minor Chords." The title derives
from an absurd incident between an MGM exec. and a film score he didn't get.
Again, A MUST READ !!!

> That's a start anyway.
>
> Jeff Sultanof

>> I still haven't had a answer to my question. When I said "musical
>> devices", I didn't mean "instruments". I meant what goes into a musical
>> composition that one instantly recognises as being of a particular
>> genre? How do I recognise "Seafaring" or "Red Indian" music. I note
>> Sousa incorporated the latter into his 1896 march "New Mexico".
>>
>>       Julian Vein

I was a bit  amused by the responses that assumed you were talking about
instruments when you mentioned "devices." This is a difficult question to
have answered without a working knowledge of  orchestration, composition,
musical sytyles and a gang of other related subjects. Jeff above gave an
accurate answer in mentioning 12 tone (serial) writing which has long been
in  use and doesn't always have to sound threatening or difficult to absorb.
But that's only one of many options available to the composer. In addition
to the musical style used part of the answer lies in the orchestration, the
type of tonal color the composer decides upon.

A simple answer to your "Red Indian" question might be the use of what we've
come to recognoze as a Native American sound; the familiar repeating tom-tom
beat (BOOM boom boom boom, BOOM boom boom boom,etc.) combined with
instruments written in fifths. It's rather trite but all will recognize it.
Similarly for Asian or Chinese music using the pentatonic (five note) scale.
Recently I  viewed an old film on  that used a pentatonic melody against
traditional harmony to depict the Orient. Even though it sounded more
western than asian the effect was there subtly.

If you  think back to many of the films (particularly from the thirties
through the fifties)    which open with a view of a large city and its
hbbub of people  and traffic  you may recall that a very similar musical
style and orchestral sound  was utilized in many of these scenes. Most of it
sounds very Gershwinesque...think of parts of  "An American in Paris" as a
simple example of this style. In scenes depicting sea voyages,  sailing
ships or the south seas you again will find a great similarity in the
writing. Lots of woodwinds and strings sounding very breezy and sunny.

Of course this doesn't answer the question of what devices were utilized but
careful listening will probably bring some insight. Stravinsky is reputed to
have stated that music describes nothing. Maybe so, but we have bcome
accustomed to relating certain styles and sounds to paericular images. When
you hear Petrouchka can you think of anythig other than a carnival?

Think about all the romantic films of the past with beautiful piano concerto
type film scores mostly derived from Rachmaninoff influence... Addinsel's
"Warsaw Concerto", Hubert bath's Cornishg Rhapsody", or Charles
Williams'Dream of Olwen." Then we have Resphighi's Roman trilogy (Pines,
Fountains and Festivals) which sems to describe ancient Rome so thotoughly
that the films seems almost superflous.

For me one of the greatest examples of a musical painting is Artur
Honegger's eight minute miniature masterpiece "Pastorale d'ete." (Summer
Pastoral). This piece has always hits me right in the gut. I can hear and
see a meadow in prewar France, the birds, the breezes in the grass and all
the other images that  fit. After a lifetime of music this composition still
paints beautiful images and totally amazes me every time I hear it.  I can't
recommend it highly enough as an illusttration of musical painting,
particularly the Bersnstein/NYP or Golschmann/Concert Arts orch.  (Capitol
mono LP) versions.
Jack Daney
      To be a musician is a curse, to not be one is even worse