[78-L] OT Musical genres^

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun Feb 21 22:33:29 PST 2010

From: "martha" <MLK402 at verizon.net>
>> Long ago, I helped move a large collection of sheet music for silent
>> movies, much of it hand-written,  from an old theater which was later
>> renovated.  Sadly, we moved it all (along with an immense collection of
>> valuable promotional material) into a place thought to be safe, but later
>> plundered by future tenants.
>>

> One wonders HOW these "future tenants" could have profited through
> the theft of this (presumably digital?!) music...?! Whoinell w/could want
> printed "sheet music" (and/or "arrangements") of songs close to a century
> old...?!  Steven C. Barr

PROPERLY phrased, the question above should read: Did these future
tenants understand the value of this cache and sell off at a profit the
promotional materials to theatre memorabilia and poster collectors or
was it just tossed out?  Did the music manuscripts find a good home to
manuscript collectors/researchers/publishers, or was it also just tossed
out?.

It's all in how you phrase it.  The cynical "questions" just elicit
disgust and nonsense like Bob Rice's answer below, the proper phrased
question might get a serious answer from Martha.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com

Bob Rice wrote:
 > Probably because they were THERE? Then you destroy it, for no
particular reason?
 > With the enterainment mentality nowadaze; Blow it up, smash it up!
DESTROY?