[78-L] A mis-informed seller? or just plain dumb?

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun Feb 21 18:18:24 PST 2010

Jim Whipkey wrote:
>   There's a seller on E-Boing   I came across yesterday  who is  offering  398 LP records from the 70s and 90s, which he says are 78rpm.  The  offering was such a mess of contradictions I  felt compelled to ask him a question, part of which inquired  about was he sure  the records were 78rpm,  which of course was ignored.
>
>   the item number is 320477094503.

Are you sure about this?  According to ebay this item is a 2006 Peugeot
206 CC 1,6 Allure in England going for GBP 7495.  It is a lot easier on
us if you would cut and paste the number instead of trying to copy it.
The real number is 320478094503

It also is easier if you cut and paste the URL from your browser bar so
that it is clickable.  Like this:

 http://cgi.ebay.com/Huge-Collection-Record-Albums-LPs-1970s-1990s_W0QQitemZ320478094503QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMusic_on_Vinyl?hash=item4a9dfba4a7

>   This  seller is offering the records for $125.00.

But he is also offering "Make an offer" so you could try $25 and see if
he will take it.

> local pickup only, but  inquire if you're buying  more, so he can give you a shipping discount.

That's not what he says.  If you're going to complain, at least quote
him accurately.  He said "*Attention: If purchasing more than one item,
please wait for me to send you an invoice to make sure you get combined
shipping."  That would conceivably mean that if you are also getting one
of his other offerings and you are going to pick the records up, you
could save on the shipping of the other item by picking it up at the
same time.  If you wait for him, he will send a combined invoice.

*
>   Irritates me to see  dummies like this  offer something which is patently incorrect,  which by association, colors  other sellers who accurately list  their items.

Everything seems correct except the speed.  He calls them LPs in several
places, including the title.  And he shows a number of pictures of
different records.

>  This seller is in Gnadhutten, OH, place I know well, deep in the heart of what is called  "Amish" country, where they have a lot of  those  folks who eschew  modern inventions such as electricity and phones.
>   Jim Whipkey

But that would also include the computer, so it is obvious that this
seller is not of the Amish persuasion.  But what does that have to do
with anything about this offering???  Seems to be a totally unnecessary
dig.

The only inconsistency I see in his listing is the speed in the "Item
Specifics".  Everything else make sense and is accurate.  I do see a lot
on inconsistencies in how you quoted him and described the listing.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com