[78-L] Jerry Jerome

Geoffrey Wheeler dialjazz at verizon.net
Sun Feb 21 09:52:01 PST 2010

Julien Vein says regarding an album issued on the International Record
label: “Where do the Jerry Jerome sides derive from? Can't find them
listed
anywhere.”

The title of the album suggests this was a play-along product, perhaps
similar to Music Minus One. Don Byas recorded “Dark Eyes” and three
other sides that were issued on American Record. These same four sides
were also issued on International Records and numbered the same way:
1001/1004 and 1002/1003. The only records I am familiar with on
International are those in a Maxine Sullivan-New Friends of Rhythm
album: International 209/210, 211/212, and 213/214; and Vincent Lopez
259/260. I don’t have the respective records near me, but I believe
both the American and International labels incorporate a fleur de lis
in their designs. Perhaps the records in the play-along album weren’t
discographed because they are instructional records. I’ve never checked
to see if any of the MMO LPs I have are discographed.