[78-L] 78 artists--WAS: Art van Damme

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Fri Feb 19 20:35:49 PST 2010

Steven C. Barr wrote:
> [...]

Not directly connected to this thread, but a songwriter who composed material
that was issued on 78s was in Toronto last night, attending the Canadian
premiere of a musical he wrote in the 70s. Sheldon Harnick, primarily a
lyricist (Fiddler on the Roof, Fiorello, The Apple Tree) wrote "Rex" with
Richard Rodgers..long before that, he was doing material for revues and cabaret
performers in the early 50s. "The Merry Minuet" is one of his songs ("They're
rioting in Africa...."). And "Gus The Gopher" was recorded on 78 by
Two Ton Baker. I had to miss meeting him last night..I'd have teased him about
that one. I see we also share a birthday, if 21 years apart.