[78-L] fwd: Art van Damme

Geoffrey Wheeler dialjazz at verizon.net
Fri Feb 19 08:15:18 PST 2010

Art Van Damme may have been influenced by Goodman but it was another
accordionist, Ernie Felice, who recorded with Goodman’s small groups
for Capitol. Felice then went on to recorded for Capitol under his own
name, as did Art Van Damme. I have the Capitol 78s of Felice with
Goodman and think an accordionist was the wrong choice for Goodman. My
belief is Capitol was grooming Felice to record under his own name once
he had gained enough recognition by playing with Goodman. Another
occasional practitioner of jazz accordion was pianist Pete Jolly.