[78-L] OT Musical genres^

Malcolm Rockwell malcolm at 78data.com
Thu Feb 18 09:44:51 PST 2010

Wow! That covers a lot of ground. BUT...
Back in the early 60s when I was learning to read music I came across a
published book of silent movie themes arranged by emotion and genre.
Almost all of the pieces were of classical origin and a great workout
for the novice piano player. It was owned by the parents of a friend of
mine that lived in the Bronx, and they gave it to me as they were no
longer interested in the material. Probably published in the 1920s.
Somewhere in the ensuing years it got lost to fate and I've never seen
another copy, more's the pity. I'd love to find it now!
Gennett also put out a series of thematic 78rpm recordings used for
movie backgrounds and, again, most of the themes were classical.
So, part of your answer is classical music.
To actually compose for film? Different keys invoke different feelings -
major or minor key, different modal tunings, tempo, volume,
instrumentation and psychology all play a part in accompaniment and can
invoke what the arranger wants the audience to feel.
Etc...
Mal

*******